I’m pleased to report an improvement in my MPG on the last tank of fuel, probably due to the I carried out last week. The last tank returned 340 miles before the light came on. I was seeing approx 280 miles before the light on average before. Using the this works out at approximately 37mpg, a massive improvement. Given the last tank wasn’t an economy run of any kind (motorway, harsh acceleration, round town, sitting in traffic for long periods) , with any luck I should see even better results this weekend on a long motorway trip up North.
Given how easy and cheap it is to change the sensor, I recommend trying this if you’re experiencing poor fuel economy, before going on to try more expensive solutions,
In an effort to improve the MPG from the 106 I decided to replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor on the thermostat housing. This sensor is used to ‘tell’ the ECU what temperature the coolant is at. If the sensor is sending erroneous readings to the ECU, the ECU may inject more fuel as it would during a cold start.
1) The Part number for my 98 model was 1920.3F from Peugeot.
2) Flat headed screwdriver
3) Cable tie cutters
4) Spare Cable tie
5) 19mm spanner
To access the sensor you need to remove the airbox. This is a simple job.
Undo the jubilee clip on the air pipe at the top rear of the engine bay. Then disconnect the breather pipe going to the airbox. Finally remove the cold air feed at the front of the bay connecting to the airbox – you may need to cut a cable tie to remove this. Wiggle and pull the airbox upward and out.
Now you should be able to see the green sensor on the right hand end of the cylinder head.
Now ensure the coolant is cold, so you don’t burn yourself, removing the sensor.
Refitting is the reverse of removal, replacing the cold air pipe cable tie if necessary.
I will be keeping an eye on the MPG over the next couple of tanks to check if I see any improvement.
Don’t forget the to you’re having issues with fuel economy.
For weeks I’ve noticed the rear brakes sticking on, particularly at the beginning of a journey. I finally got round to ordering some brake discs from BuyPartsBy for the princely sum of £21 delivered. Since I already had a spare set of rear brake pads from the 306 which shares the same rear caliper, it was time to get started and sort out the rear brakes.
With the sun shining it wasn’t too much of a chore. I timed it right as the pads on the nearside were almost down to their backing plate and were clearly not contacting the disc 100% of the way across.
I removed the pad carrier, cleaned it out, replaced the pads and greased the sliders. I then wound back the caliper pistons which were extremely stiff, but loosed up eventually with a little persuasion and copper grease. I noticed the dust boots need renewing at some point in the future but I’ll leave that for now. A bit of threadlock on the bolts and the car was dropped back down on it’s wheels.
I took the car for a drive and the difference was notable, no drag from the brakes, and the car felt livelier and more responsive – clearly it was being held back quite significantly before. Hopefully eliminating the binding brakes may well help to improve the fuel economy as well (see mpg post )
I’ve suspected for a while I’m not getting the MPG I should be getting in the 106. I’m not looking for diesel economy, but I think 35mpg should be achievable on a run. As any owner will tell you the 106 fuel gauge is shockingly inaccurate, so I’ve written a little to find out my actual mpg.
Working it out I seem to be getting approximately 270 miles to 45 litres which is ~27mpg. I have an idea what might be causing this figure to be a bit lower than it should, namely binding rear brakes which could easily be causing drag and causing poor fuel consumption figures. More in another post…
Click to try the MPG tool yourself.